Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bad Luck

Arrgh! Go figure, the first time that I get a good Internet connection, I forget my flashdrive that has a four-page-long super post documenting the last 3 weeks (OMG three weeks!).

Anyway, without taking away too much internet time from my fellow trainees who are waiting patiently for this coveted seat, I will do a quick summary:

My family is great, I love them. My village is also great, and I am getting very quickly used to being surrounded by shit (excuse me, but it is all that can be said) all the time.

They keep us on a pretty tight schedule right now, and we are all expriencing some serious language training burn-out. Even when I am not on the PC schedule, my family keeps me very busy, and it seems like I am constantly being called to "chai eech!" (drink tea) or "je! je!" (eat! eat!)

When I poke my head out the front gate, I am usually mobbed with a crowd of kids trying to get my attention (and often adults), all yelling "Ajo! Ajo!" (my host sisters new nickname for me. It was kind of a strange evolution). I have never been so popular before (haha) and sometimes I hate it, but mostly I love it. As a result of village life, everyone knows everything about everyone, and the Americans are the center of talk all the time, so we sometimes experience some difficulty as a result of being scrutinized all the time. Over all, life is good for me, and I am so glad to be here.

Love and hugs to everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Ajo!! that's a precious new nickname! It sounds like you are having a blast! I can't believe you've been gone for 3 weeks. Pretty soon you'll be finished with training! Glad to hear you are still doing well and are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you! Sounds like there is never a dull moment in your village and your host family. Keep in touch, Ajo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm talking to you right now, AK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so would that be fecal matter of the male bovine variety that trails behind all government endeveors or would that be actual fecal matter that someone's mother has yet to clean up? You know I did 13 months in Vietnam and 42 years in Federal Govenment service...I understand both varieties. But, what was that noise? Oh yes, it is the sound of knowledge and experience coming together in one of my favorite persons. Stay safe kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Audra Ajo! We haven't checked in awhile and were happy to see your post tonight. It sounds like things are really going well .....and we loved seeing your comment that you are "glad you are there!" That is a good thing! :) Hope to see another post soon! Keep having fun.......and stay safe!
    Kim and Dan :)

    ReplyDelete