Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fun with language

Hey all,

I am in Osh this week, which means internet access, so I just wanted to share a quick cute story with you while I was thinking about it.

One day in the village, my Kyrgyz tutor was teaching me some new vocabulary for things around the house. He taught me one word that he didn't know in English, and he drew a horseshoe and told me it was something for a horse. When I told him the English word, he was like, "Wait. Horse shoe?? Like a shoe for a horse?" And he cracked up, saying that was the most ridiculous image he had ever thought of. It is so funny how we would never think that this is something funny, but I guess picturing a horse wearing people shoes is kind of silly.

Anyway, I told him he couldn't talk, because the Kyrgyz word for stomach, "ash kazan," literally means "food pot." So there.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even think I could pick a favorite story you've shared! Anacondas, Leo DiCaprio, haggling over baby chicks, salty dried yogurt balls, and now food pots and horse shoes! You sure have your share of challenges as well as laughs. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete