Sunday, March 1, 2009

Flight Itinerary!

Official date of departure for me is March 27.  I will fly to Philadelphia from Dubuque for one day of "staging" and then off to Kyrgyzstan from there!  It will be a long trip--we leave our hotel in Philadelphia at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday and don't arrive in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan until 1:30 a.m. Monday morning! There will be a layover in Istanbul in there, which I am pumped about. 

Today, Mom and I looked around the gift shop in the river museum, trying to get ideas for gifts for my host family, but with no success. I picked up a harmonica and a box of arrow heads that I thought might be okay gifts, but on a closer look, the harmonica was made in China and the arrow heads were contemporary and made in Mexico. ::sigh:: I suppose I will keep looking. Any suggestions from anyone?

4 comments:

  1. Fragrance is always a good gift from my perspective, but that doesn't help. Something Iowan and unique and small.....Katherine could knit something quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the caramels from the nuns are a great gift! Also in the past I have gone to Barnes and Noble and found good books on Iowa, esp. those with mostly photographs of the landscape and towns. Or postcards of Iowa or UNI or Dubuque. Also keychains and pens from the Chamber of Commerce or Tourism Office/Visitors Bureau.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you should get them something that they will use...or eat. Food? lol Chocolate! Candy! Water! Hell I doubt they have enough of that in Kyrgyzstan! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way, shutupcutyerhair is Justin lol

    ReplyDelete